So you’ve decided that you’re in need of some self care, and now you’re on the hunt for some good ideas to help get you feeling top notch. Well I’m glad you’re here! In such a fast-paced world, it is so important to remember to take care of yourself and give yourself the love and care that you require. This is important because if you don’t take time to build a good routine that works for you, then you’re much more likely to struggle with staying on top of your stress and run the risk of eventually burning out. Be sure to know your signs and make sure to take care of yourself before you’re dealing with a complete mental break down.
Self Care is Essential to Your Health
Your task list may be miles long, but self care is something that should be penciled in regularly. In regards to a healthy lifestyle people sometimes tend to think of physical health first, and everything else second – if at all. It is important to remember that health is your average between your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. So even if you feel like you’re drowning in to-do’s, remember that self care should be treated with this same level of respect.
Okay, but what is it?
According to Marni Amsellem, PhD, “Self-care is anything that you do for yourself that feels nourishing.” (Everydayhealth.com) I personally like to think of self care as a tool that helps you take on your day to day like a champion. Luckily, self care has gained a lot of popularity in recent years, but sometimes it seems like there may be a bit of confusion over what qualifies. However, I’m here to put your mind at ease, because here’s the answer: whatever you think should qualify, probably qualifies.
To clarify just a bit, what I’m saying is that just because self care CAN mean turning on Netflix and binge watching a TV show for a few hours, that does not mean that self care should always be used as downtime. Because it can be tempting to just do the easiest possible thing when you’re tired, it’s good to know yourself and what your needs are. If taking a veg day is what you need, then by all means TAKE IT! But don’t just watch TV if what you really need is to declutter the closet or go on a hike. With that being said, let’s jump into the best ideas for self care!
30 Rejuvenating Ideas for Self Care
- Read a book. A personal favorite of mine, reading is a great way to escape your problems and take an enjoyable break. Make it a romance, sci-fi, or a self help – whatever is calling out to you.
- Move Your Body. Go on a walk, take some time to stretch, or go to the gym. Because being active is one of the best ways to take care of yourself – so give that body something to do.
- Clean Up. Having a clean house does wonders for your mental health, so pick a space that you spend a lot of time in and tidy up.
- Give Yourself Permission to Veg. Sometimes all you need is some quality binge watching. No shame in that!
- Take a Bath. A favorite of many, for good reason.
- Make Plans with a Friend
- Accomplish Something that You’ve Been Putting Off. Taking care of that one thing that just nags at you constantly, even if it is of little importance. As a result you will feel much more put together, and you will be able to clear out the mental space that the task had been occupying.
- Listen to Your Favorite Song. Or playlist.
- Give Yourself a Mani/Pedi. If you don’t have the supplies you could always hit up a salon as well!
- Buy a Fresh Bouquet of Flowers. There’s not a lot of things in this world that brighten up a space the way that flowers do.
- Meditate. Sometimes you just need to center yourself. And if you don’t know how, there are plenty of resources!
- Create a Vision Board. Vision boards are SO fun to make and can be done alone, or with friends.
- Clean Up Your Socials. Unfollow the accounts that make you feel bad about yourself, and mute your toxic “friends.”
- Cook your Favorite Meal.
- Retail Therapy. If you’re someone who loves to shop, give yourself permission to go to the mall! It’s always good practice to keep your budget in mind, but a little splurge here and there never hurt anybody.
- Have a Spa Day. Make some face masks and homemade sugar scrubs, or make a much needed appointment. Whatever makes you feel best.
- Journal. And make sure to include things that you are grateful for.
- Write Your Own Self Love Affirmations.
- Hit the Town for a Date Night. Don’t forget to prioritize your most important relationships. It is good for you, your significant other, and your relationship in general.
- Get Out in Nature.
- Laugh. Pull up your favorite comedian on YouTube, or play a funny game with some friends. You know what they say about laughter being the best medicine after all… 🙂
- Plan a Vacation. Is there honestly anything better than a vacation?
- Take a Nap. It works (almost) every time.
- Snuggle up. With your s/o or a pet, sometimes a good cuddle is the best medicine.
- Get a Massage.
- Engage in Some Self Love. Pull out a journal and write down things that you love about yourself, or pull up a mirror and tell yourself face-to-face.
- DIY it up. Whether you’ve been wanting to a paint your bedroom a new color or you’re tired of the placement of your furniture – get in there and make some changes!
- Break Down Your Big Goals into Attainable Small Goals. Bonus points if you take that first step!
- Get in Touch with your Artsy Side.
- Declutter One Problem Area. And then take it to the thrift store to find new life.
Now that you have some ideas for self care, you’re ready to take that much needed time for yourself. Be sure to bookmark this page to return to for the next time you need some self care guidance. Always take care of yourself, so you can be the best version of you that you can be. Happy self care-ing!